Oklahoma City Public Schools
Director School Nutrition Services
Professional Technical/Administrative - Central Office - Professional Technical/Administrative
Job Number 0000709800
Open Date 10/02/2019
Closing Date 01/02/2020
DIRECTOR CHILD NUTRITION SERVICES
This position assures the production and service of quality, fresh, wholesome, and nutritious student accepted foods that will support the District mission of preparing students for success in school, work, and life in accordance with District policies and procedures. Provides leadership, mission, vision, purpose statement, goals, and values to guide the department. Oversees the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs, the After School Snack Program, the Seamless Summer Food Service Program and other programs available through the US Department of Agriculture and directs the work of the department through the interpretation of federal and state regulations and a variety of nutritional, operational and financial policies and procedures established by the US Department of Agriculture and the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- Develops a long-range program for establishing professional status for the Child Nutrition Services department's role in the education community.
- Develops and revises (as needed) the district's Child Nutrition Services procurement plan and inventory control management to ensure the plan is consistent with Federal, State and OKCPS district procurement regulations and policies.
- Develops and submits product bid specifications for foods and supplies to potential vendors.
- Develops guidelines for providing services in response to disaster or emergency situations.
- Develops procedures to ensure the food production system provides safe nutritious food of high quality.
- Develops, implements and monitors the district’s mandated HACCP Plan and ensures each school is inspected at least quarterly by the local Department of Health.
- Implements a plan for providing foodservice for special functions consistent with Board of Education policies.
- Implements and monitors a reliable system of cash management.
- Implements Corrective Action when needed to address any deficiencies identified within the district's Child Nutrition Services program.
- Implements efficient management techniques to ensure all records and supporting documentation are maintained in accordance with local, state, and federal laws and policies.
- Oversees payment of invoices in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepares required reports (ie. Justification for budget requests, fixed inventory, number of meals prepared/claimed, operating costs).
- Reviews current research information to determine health and nutrition-related trends and foodservice management developments; and develops innovative program changes and expansions based on this information.
- Maintains relationships with community agencies and collaborates to achieve mutual goals.
- Contributes to the nutrition education components of the district’s local wellness policy; serves as part of the district's Coordinated School Health Team.
- Establishes a staffing formula for schools as it relates to providing food service to ensure optimal productivity, taking into account the need to balance labor and food costs to promote operational success.
- Establishes a waste management system that is effective, economical, and environmentally safe.
- Monitors the district's use of Federal funds to ensure they are used only for allowable purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Specifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required):
- Bachelor’s Degree in nutrition/dietetics, hotel-restaurant management, institutional management, business or related field required.
- Ten (10) years commercial or institutional food service required.
- Oklahoma Licensed Dietitian and/or School Nutrition Specialist Certification preferred.
- Experience supervising professional staff, managing budgets and transforming data into management information required.
- Strong Interpersonal and communications skills.
- SAP software experience preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The working conditions and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
- Exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer.
- Ability to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids.
- Hear, understand and speak in audible tones in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone.
- Physical agility, able to bend, stoop, sit on the floor, walk, reach and climb stairs.
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 50 pounds.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the supervisor or appropriate administrator. Oklahoma City Public Schools reserves the right to, update, revise or change job duties as the need prevails. This document is for communication only and not intended to imply a written or implied contract of employment. The Board of Education and Superintendent may approve alternatives to the listed qualifications
Duty Days 245
Salary determined by experience
Additional Job Information
Reports To: Chief Operations Officer
FSLA Status: Exempt
Compensation: 903 (Salary determined by experience.)
Work Days: 245
External candidate of choice must pass a pre-employment drug test (no cost to applicant).
External candidate of choice must have satisfactory outcome of a pre-employment background check by Department of Education.
Candidate of choice must have a valid driver?s license and provide an MVR report less than 30 days old, with a score that meets district insurance requirements.